Re: Slow Crystal Reports with Oracle

From: Ross McKay <rosko_at_zeta.NOT.THIS.BIT.org.au>
Date: Tue, 21 Oct 2003 01:29:29 GMT

On 20 Oct 2003 11:03:07 -0700, kplasun_at_hotmail.com (kris p) wrote:

>I'd like to do an ODBC trace, how would I go about doing that? Is the ODBC
>trace function that is accessible through the ODBC admin what I'm looking for?

Depending on the version of the ODBC Data Source Administrator you have, you should be able to enable an ODBC trace to a log file. In my version (3.52 on Windows 2000), there is a Tracing tab that allows you to start or stop tracing and select the file to log to.

>Also, is there a way to trace what the Oracle server is doing? I'd like to
>see what it is doing when it's maximizing the CPU.

As others have said elsewhere, see Ask Tom for some articles about this. Here is a link:

        http://asktom.oracle.com/

Also, why are you using ODBC? There are better ways, e.g. the native Oracle driver.

regards,
Ross.

--
Ross McKay, WebAware Pty Ltd
"Words can only hurt if you try to read them. Don't play their game" - Zoolander