Re: Does Oracle + VB is a good combination

From: Clifford Buetikofer <rcbuetikofer_at_comcast.net>
Date: Fri, 17 Oct 2003 07:11:19 -0400

vincent delft wrote:
> Clifford Buetikofer <rcbuetikofer_at_comcast.net> wrote in message news:<OcSdnUg1PeSfthCiRVn-vA@comcast.com>...
>

>>vincent delft wrote:
>>

>>Vincent,
>>
>>VB-Oracle can be very stable but like previous posters mentioned, you
>>need a very tightly managed desktop.  We have VB-Oracle apps running
>>supporting 3500 users and the desktop is managed by SMS for a "standard"
>>client and to auto-push deployments.  If you don't have a tool, it'll be
>>difficult to do deployments and DLL management.
>>

> Indeed, but this application is not the first one. And the compny have
> tools to push software (tey use SMS). If package management for VB +
> oracle applications is the only weakness point, I think that the
> company have the correct tools and team memeber to do that correctly.
>
> But for you 3500 users, how do you connect the VB application with the
> Oracle (on Unix ?) DB ? Have you several DB in Parallel ? Have you got
> performances problems ? (if yes how did you solve them ?)
>

>>Regarding using Citrix,  the network footprint is about 24k per user so
>>you need to make sure you have the bandwidth.  Also, latency values can
>>kill you if they're over 100ms.  A GUI-driven app with bad latency will
>>drive your users absolutely crazy or else they learn the accelerator
>>keys REAL quick.
>>
>>Cliff

> OK. Thanks for this very relevant remark.

No databases in Parallel. It's just one large instance on a large 16 cpu server. It's an OLTP application and so the SQL is tuned for those operations using materialized views and hints; plus lots of indexing.

Performance problems usually result from ad-hoc queries. Those are spooled up and run in the background so as not to affect OLTP performance.

Connections are done through ODBC.

Cliff Received on Fri Oct 17 2003 - 13:11:19 CEST

Original text of this message