Re: Does Oracle + VB is a good combination

From: vincent delft <vincent_delft_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 17 Oct 2003 00:14:15 -0700

Clifford Buetikofer <rcbuetikofer_at_comcast.net> wrote in message news:<OcSdnUg1PeSfthCiRVn-vA_at_comcast.com>...
> vincent delft wrote:
>

> Vincent,
>
> VB-Oracle can be very stable but like previous posters mentioned, you
> need a very tightly managed desktop. We have VB-Oracle apps running
> supporting 3500 users and the desktop is managed by SMS for a "standard"
> client and to auto-push deployments. If you don't have a tool, it'll be
> difficult to do deployments and DLL management.

Indeed, but this application is not the first one. And the compny have tools to push software (tey use SMS). If package management for VB + oracle applications is the only weakness point, I think that the company have the correct tools and team memeber to do that correctly.

But for you 3500 users, how do you connect the VB application with the Oracle (on Unix ?) DB ? Have you several DB in Parallel ? Have you got performances problems ? (if yes how did you solve them ?)

> Regarding using Citrix, the network footprint is about 24k per user so
> you need to make sure you have the bandwidth. Also, latency values can
> kill you if they're over 100ms. A GUI-driven app with bad latency will
> drive your users absolutely crazy or else they learn the accelerator
> keys REAL quick.
>
> Cliff
OK. Thanks for this very relevant remark. Received on Fri Oct 17 2003 - 09:14:15 CEST

Original text of this message