Re: Help with sqlplus in Oracle.

From: Hans Forbrich <forbrich_at_yahoo.net>
Date: Wed, 15 Oct 2003 04:27:14 GMT

Munk wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm learning sql and my instructor used sql*plus in oracle to explain some
> basic sql statements. I downloaded the latest oracle and installed it. I'm
> having some problems getting sql plus to work. It seems to have problems
> connecting and I have no idea how to connect, I haven't got a preconfigured
> database or anything.
>
> Can anybody tell me how to get it working?
>
> Thanks

Sure - before you start, just set up the flazzr (line 3) and tweak the grobnnitz section of the conflaguration file. This is assuming you're using the GNORF operating system. Otherwise, who knows what fits your environment.

Seriously .... at the same site you downloaded the software (http://otn.oracle.com) you will find:

Documentation (also through http://docs.oracle.com or http://tahiti.oracle.com), and
Sample Code.

On the Sample Code pages, you will see a section called Oracle By Example which includes screen shots on installing and setting up all the basics. That should help you out. Then grab the documentation, find a nice fire to sit by & start reading. Start with the SQL Plus reference manual, then go to the Database Adminstration Guide.

Have fun.

When you start running into difficulties, remember to include the operating system and the version of Oracle as part of your problem description. And Fair warning: The cranky old folk in this group (myself included) tend to give real snarky responses unless you >>prove<< you've made a fairly decent effort at trying to resolve the problem yourself.

--
/Hans
[mailto:`echo $from" | sed "s/yahoo/telusplanet/g"`]