Star Transform condition?

From: Jeremy Posner <jeremy_posner_at_hotmail.com>
Date: 12 Oct 2003 13:38:17 -0700

Can someone please clear up some confusion I am having on Star Transformations: I have read about the conditions for Star Transformations, especially this onen (from 9i Data Warehousing Guide):

 "A prerequisite of the star transformation is that there be a single-column bitmap index on every join column of the fact table. These join columns include all foreign key columns"

Does this mean every join column in a particular query, or every Fact record FK column in the table ?

I have a single col bitmap index on all but one of my FK columns in a fact table; the column in question is the primary key and links to a "Descriptive" Dimension - one record per Fact. Since this column is the PK I have a PK constraint on it...and therefore cannot have a Bitmap Index in addition. I have Star_Transformation option enabled, I'm using the CBO but still not getting a Star Query Plan.

Reading the documentation, I would have thought that if this column is not used in a query I would get a Star Query Plan, but when it was used I would not.

Thanks

Jeremy Received on Sun Oct 12 2003 - 22:38:17 CEST

Original text of this message