Re: Speeding Intermedia Query

From: Jim Kennedy <kennedy-down_with_spammers_at_no_spam.comcast.net>
Date: Tue, 30 Sep 2003 02:40:24 GMT

"Angel Faus" <afaus_at_corp.vlex.com> wrote in message news:7a7a07a.0309290938.410c010c_at_posting.google.com...
> Hi all,
>
> We've got an Oracle database in a Web application. Intermedia Text
> queries are an important part of the usage and work fine.
>
> The problem is that in order to generate a certain web page, we need
> to perform a great number of intermedia queries (like 14 o 15). This
> is part of the bussiness requirements and we cannot change it. So,
> even if each individual query is not that slow (from 1 to 3 seconds)
> the accumulation of them is quite fatal.
>
> My question is: what steps should be done to speed up the application?
>
> We've believe the application (sqls, etc...) is well designed. We
> cache everything that is cachable (query results, etc..). Our hardware
> is state-of-art Intel (dual processor, 1Gb ram, good hard disks).
>
> The size of the indexed data is about 20Gb.
>
> Apparently the bottlneck is IO (since CPU is not used 100%, and the
> network is not the problem). We have thought in adding more RAM, but
> since its a 32 bit server, the maximum would be 2Gb, and we are not
> sure whether this would make any difference.
>
> On the other hand we could buy more disks and try to spread the IO
> access evenly, but this is also a limited option.
>
> So, what can be done when the application is not fast enough??
>
> Thanks,
>
> -angel

So you can't change the application which infers that the application is some sort of vender application. If so then call the vendor and bitch. Get Tom Kyte's book Expert 1 on 1 Oracle. I would look up stored outlines and see if there is something there. Additionally, I would call up the vendor and complain. Poorly written application code is over 90% of the time the reason the application performance and scalability are in the toilet. If you can prove it then so much the better. (do they use bind variables, do they parse once and execute many times, etc.)

You need to find your bottle neck (statspack is a good tool to help with this) and then attach the problem that way. There is no way we can reasonably tell you how to speed things up without a lot of detailed information.
Jim Received on Tue Sep 30 2003 - 04:40:24 CEST

Original text of this message