Re: Company thought DB2 will be better than Oracle.

From: Database Guy <dbguy101_at_hotmail.com>
Date: 25 Sep 2003 17:56:06 -0700

Newsgroups: comp.databases.oracle.server Date: 2003-09-11 07:47:26 PST

T0GGLe wrote:

>Hi,
>
>can someone please explain to me why oracle crashes on my oracle817
>cluster server (W2k) system when i change tehh sys password? The first
>time this happened was when i changed it using dba studio.
>I thought that this might be a problem with that software however I've
>just tried changing the password at the command line (sqlplus) after
>having recreated the password file and hey presto the entire system
>has crashed and won't come back up again.
>
>Now I realise that the internal account is hard coded into the system
>and needs manually putting back in, in fail safe manager, but is there
>anywhere for the sys passwrod to go?

You realize incorrectly. It is not.

>I'm now on the phone to oracle support to try to get the system back
>up and running but this is doing my head in. For god's sake why didn't
>we use sql7 or above????????? That works!

So you'd have something to whine about. Of course MS products never crash. Never have problems.
And everything is always perfect. It is raining in Redmond Washington at this very second. How can that
be? How can that be? I know ... I'm there.

The crash has nothing to do with changing the password. What I'd like to see is an actual example
of what you are doing to change that password. I suspect the real cause is that you are not doing what
you think you are doing, not doing it the right way, or have some other processes running your aren't
telling us about.

--
Daniel Morgan
damorgan_at_x.washington.edu