Re: Third party indexing solutions

From: Jim Kennedy <kennedy-down_with_spammers_at_no_spam.comcast.net>
Date: Sat, 20 Sep 2003 00:58:57 GMT

"Chuck Chekuri" <cchekuri_at_vizional.com> wrote in message news:ee7ae801.0309191220.fc0648e_at_posting.google.com...
> Hi,
> We have a 3TB oracle db. 24x7 operation with data constantly coming in
> to the DB. Users from all over the world use a web based applicaton to
> query and work on the data.
>
> Out transaction performance is quite good but our query performance
> sucks. looking up by ids and some combinations of search critera
> return ok but some never return. We indexed the db for a lot of
> combinations and we materialized some views and that helped a little.
> So far we haven't penalized our transaction throuput but if we
> continue this path, our transaction performance will suffer.
>
> We are looking into a third party indexing solutions. We are talking
> to Omnidex.
> Third party indexing solutions claim a dramatic performance
> improvement for
> people in our situations.
>
> If any of you are using any third party indexing solutions on oracle,
> please share your experiences.
>
> Thank you very much,
> Chuck Chekuri
> DBA Manager
> Vizional Technologies, Inc.
> Santa Monica, CA - 90405

I'm going to ask a possibly stupid question, but what are your bottlenecks? What leads you to believe that a 3rd party indexing solution will solve your problem? (I don't know that it will not, but there isn't a lot of data to go on in the posting.)
Jim Received on Sat Sep 20 2003 - 02:58:57 CEST

Original text of this message