Re: Company thought DB2 will be better than Oracle.

From: Larry Edelstein <lsedels_at_us.ibm.com>
Date: Fri, 19 Sep 2003 21:03:43 -0400

Daniel,

The point on use of a database as a reference platform went right by you ... but I fully expected that as you seem hell-bent on trashing IBM and DB2. I'm not even sure it's worth my time clarifying it ... because you will just turn it around and put your own little twist on it to make it seem like it's not valid. But ... no responsible executive is going to cut a deal on the 17th hole ... no matter how much it is sweetened ... that is going to endanger his company. People from large companies like that buy software to run their businesses on and to develop on if and only if they feel that the software is worthy of their investment and will stand up to the test. Would you purchase a second-rate, inferior car with a questionable safety record to transport your 3 year-old in if the salesman offered you World Series tickets on the 17th hole?

It's a way to prove viability, stability, and integrity ... it's called a REFERENCE ... and potential Oracle customers usually like them also by the way.

The problem here is not insecurity on our part. The problem here is people like you who come onto the DB2 newsgroup and trash DB2 with unfounded and false claims. Do you see any of us making postings like that on any Oracle newsgroups? What do you expect to happen when you do this? If someone took one of your classes and trashed it making false claims about something you taught or the way you taught it ... and you knew it to be false ... or you knew it to be something that was being looked at from a biased point of view ... wouldn't you try to defend yourself ... or wouldn't you at least try to convince that person that if they took more of a balanced view, they might feel differently?

If you're so unbiased and simply making innocent critiques of DB2, I'm still waiting for you to post your 10 biggest faults of Oracle 9i.

Larry Edelstein