Re: Oracle DBA: Where do I start?

From: Michael Willer <no.spam_at_please.com>
Date: Fri, 19 Sep 2003 17:50:52 +0200

Zack Bethem wrote:

> Sorry for the repeating theme, but I was hoping for some guidance. I'm
> currently a Siebel consultant/integrator. I've done my time
> administering envionments and running Oracle SQL, PL/SQL, and SQL*Loader
> jobs.
>
> In an effort to stop travelling and to evolve into a steady career, I
> want to pursue becoming a DBA role. The problem is common, however.
> I was wondering if you could give me some pointers on what I should or
> shouldn't do.
>
> * Investing to become an OCP DBA is going to be a hefty out-of-pocket
> expense, so I'm not sure it's the best way to go. Lots of money for an
> uncertain return.
>
> * Spending time dorking on a linux box would give one experience, but
> it's not marketable when it comes time for interviews.
>
> I would like to know what the group thinks. Mind the 'no-spam' in the
> email if replying directly to me.. thanks.
>
> Zack

Zack,

First goto Oracle Technet and download yourself a database: http://technet.oracle.com/software/products/oracle9i/content.html

Same place you can download a full documentation set.

Then using something like this as a guide:

http://www.orafaq.com/faqdbacv.htm

And start learning!

First manual to read is "Database Concepts" it's a bit dry, but though it out - it's worth is.

And .... who knows once you have the knowledge, the job-market might have changed.

Good luck.

Michael Willer Received on Fri Sep 19 2003 - 17:50:52 CEST

Original text of this message