Re: query oracle_home in sqlplus

From: Michael Willer <no.spam_at_please.com>
Date: Fri, 19 Sep 2003 16:11:58 +0200

Guido Konsolke wrote:

> "Michael Willer" wrote...
>

>>Guido Konsolke wrote:
>>

>>>Hi Peter,
>>>
>>>$ORACLE_HOME is a parameter that contains the home directory
>>>of an oracle installation. Could you please explain:
>>>- what are you trying to do and why
>>>- are you on client or server side
>>>- what is your oracle version
>>>- what is your OS?
>>>
>>>UTL_FILE package *could* be what you're looking for.
>>>
>>>Greetings,
>>>Guido
>>>

>>Global name can be set to whatever textstring you want with the

> command:
>
>>alter database rename global_name to whateveryouwant;
>>

>>Michael Willer
>>Cybercom Group
>>

> Hi Michael,
>
> any chance that you refer to another posting
> but mine? I didn't write 'global_name'...
>
> Greetings,
> Guido

Hi Guido,

Sorry, I read it as a question on global name. I jumped into the discussion.

Anyway, $ORACLE_HOME can, to my knowledge, not be queried from the database. The main question here why would someone want to. It is possible however to display it using:

SQL> host echo $ORACLE_HOME , on UNIX/Linux

SQL> host echo %ORACLE_HOME% , on Window$

/Michael Received on Fri Sep 19 2003 - 16:11:58 CEST

Original text of this message