Re: Unistall Oracle with Faulty Uninstaller

From: <sybrandb_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 18 Sep 2003 00:42:28 -0700

a153153153_at_yahoo.com (a153153153) wrote in message news:<59180ec1.0309170511.36bf026a_at_posting.google.com>...
> Hi
> I have the following problem. Any help is greatly appreciated.
>
> I have installed Oracle Enterprise Version 9i. During installation,
> something went wrong and it doesnt work ( was trying to get only the
> packages I wanted). I am now trying to uninstall and reinstall again.
> I have tried the following:
>
> 1. Use the universal uninstaller. Hangs when I go to uninstall
> products. I suspect the problem is somewhere in the oracle inventory
> file. Since uninstaller cannot read the inventory, cannot perform
> uninstall. I sometimes get a "cannot obtain lock" message. I cannot
> even get a list of existing products.
>
> 2. Manual uninstalling by removing the oracle folder. Fails because
> the file apache.exe is in use. Tried to manuanlly killing apache.exe
> thread but failed. It appears that I have 2 apache.exe threads running
> at the same time. Thus I cant kill one or the other. Result, oracle
> still there.
>
> I suspect I must have done something to cause oracle to run in the
> background somehow. I have a isqlplus process running and it cannot be
> killed. Tells me its in use. Its there even if I manually deleta the
> sqlplus folder.
>
> Thanks

Apache is a *SERVICE*. Does that ring a bell? Why don't you just stop the service?
The main thing you have done until now is not reading the documentaion. Oracle is implemented as a service, so always runs in the background.

Sybrand Bakker
Senior Oracle DBA Received on Thu Sep 18 2003 - 09:42:28 CEST

Original text of this message