Re: Distributed database question

From: Jim Kennedy <kennedy-down_with_spammers_at_no_spam.comcast.net>
Date: Thu, 18 Sep 2003 01:50:02 GMT

"J Goldman" <jason_at_fc.hp.com> wrote in message news:3f68c63a$1_at_usenet01.boi.hp.com...
> I'm looking for documentation pointers to learn what I need to put
 together
> a distributed database system. I've read through "Oracle 9i Database
> Administrator's Guide: Distributed Database Concepts" and Oracle Database
> Concepts: Introduction to the Oracle Server: Distributed Databases
> Overview", but I don't see how to do what I want.
>
> I would like to set up a distributed database system with location
> transparency and a shared schema (i.e. horizontal fragmentation). I'll
> provide a little more context: I have three databases, running on
 separate
> systems, all of which use the identical schema. So, each has entries in a
> table "foo", which are unique. I'd like to provide a global access to
 this
> data, so a client can effectively query the set of databases. So, asking
> for all entries in the "foo" table would retrieve the contents of db1.foo,
> db2.foo, and db3.foo. Ideally, when all is said and done, I'm planning to
> wrap this in an enterprise java bean to provide an object interface.
>
> Database links looked like the closest idea I could find, but they don't
> deal well with the idea that my "foo" table has entries spread across the
 db
> instances.
>
> A pointer in the right direction would be greatly appreciated.
>
> Jason
> jason_at_fc.hp.com

Why do you want them spread over 3 machines? On one machine you might want to partition the data into 3 tables and access the partition. You could use database links and views, but it is going to be very inefficient.(the link might have to retrieve the whole table and resolve the query on the database you are attached to - ouch, dragging all that data over a link.) Whereas a RAC might be better.
Jim Received on Thu Sep 18 2003 - 03:50:02 CEST

Original text of this message