Re: OCP is not enough, need extensive experience

From: Zack Bethem <zbethem_at_NO-SPAMspeakeasy.net>
Date: Tue, 16 Sep 2003 21:59:12 -0700

Pramod Ramachandran wrote:
> Hi group,
>
> I am a software professional working at Trivandrum, south India, with
> around 4 years mixed experience in J2EE development, Crystal Reports,
> Customer support, Oracle DBA activities and developer support in
> PL-SQL. My worry is that I was not able to succeed careerwise in any
> one of these areas since I have all these multiple responsibilities -
> obviously because ours is a small organization. So last year I
> thought of pursuing OCP (Oracle certified professional) programme and
> secure a DBA job and I completed the course in about 6 months. But
> adding to my misery I could not get a placement elsewhere since I am
> an inexperienced DBA with no production experience. There is nothing
> like entry level DBA and now I regret my decision. I have limited
> responsibility as DBA - once in a week I take logical backup, I have
> done some tuning activities , especially statement level and
> modification of SGA size. This is nothing compared to the employers
> expectations where extensive experience is required which is
> impossible in my current employment. The only thing I could do is just
> reading documentation, DBA handbooks, try to simulate scenarios and
> play with them.
>
> We have an 8i database running in Win2000.
>
> I was late to understand that there arent many entry level DBAs and
> most people I have met with extensive DBA experience are system admins
> or developers turned DBAs. Now I am planning to switch back to J2EE
> development.
>
> Do you agree with this ? Please advice.
>
> all suggestions welcome.
>
> TIA
>
> Pramod Ramachandran

I too was thinking of making a career switch to DBA (earlier posting). I realized I'd be taking a pay cut, but continue to worry about getting that first junior DBA position. Are you only looking in India or elsewhere? Curious to the market conditions.

Zack Received on Wed Sep 17 2003 - 06:59:12 CEST

Original text of this message