Re: She doesn't want the ODBC users to see system views/tables via M$ Access.

From: Ryan Gaffuri <rgaffuri_at_cox.net>
Date: 15 Sep 2003 03:39:55 -0700

rooty_hill2002_at_yahoo.com.au (Gary) wrote in message news:<171bd226.0309141721.28206016_at_posting.google.com>...
> rgaffuri_at_cox.net (Ryan Gaffuri) wrote in message news:<1efdad5b.0309120825.53772e47_at_posting.google.com>...
> > rooty_hill2002_at_yahoo.com.au (Gary) wrote in message news:<171bd226.0309112108.ed6fcbb_at_posting.google.com>...
> > > Hello guys!
> > >
> > > Bear with me, I am a newbie.
> > >
> > > She is the Data Warehouse manager. She has about 50 users to use the
> > > Oracle database from M$ Access via ODBC connection. All those users
> > > have only SELECT privileges on certain tables. I built all the roles
> > > and users for them and they work fine.
> > >
> > > Then she asked "Why do YOU let them see all those system tables?",
> > > I replied:
> > > 1. First of all they are not tables, most of them are views;
> > > 2. Your users only have select privileges on them; (I have done my
> > > best to limit the privileges user PUBLIC has. I only give it select on
> > > ALL_ views. Maybe I can do more about it, I just don't know how.)
> > > 3. M$ Access needs these views to build its own environment;
> > >
> > > She went "Users didn't see them when we used Sql server, why should
> > > them see now?"
> > >
> > > Bloody hell!
> > >
> > > Anyone got this kind of experience? I am pretty sure it is how M$
> > > Access works when it builds the table list. I am trying to do some
> > > investigation for M$ Access to see whether I can use some .ini file to
> > > block those system views in the table list in Access.
> > >
> > > Any input is appreciated.
> >

> > Your datawarehouse manager is an idiot. Its not your fault your new at
> > this. Oracle != SQL Server. Different architecture. Get her fired.
> >
> > OK if you cant do that, you need to rethink your design. Access NEEDS
> > the system views to build lists of the tables you need right? You dont
> > want the specific users themselves to have access to those views. Now
> > is this an oracle question or an Access question(I dont know Access).
> > Oracle is providing the Access account select priviledges on the
> > views. Access needs these priviledges to do what it needs to do.
> > Therefore Access must block select priviledges on these views. All you
> > can do with Oracle is go, yes you can see them or no you cannot. If
> > yes, then its up to the client.
> >
> > If Access cant block it, then your stuck.
> >
> > Your DW warehouse manager will want to go back to SQL Server because
> > its 'superior'.
>

> Ryan, thanks for this.
>
> I can't agree with you more. Yes I am stuck but I am trying to fake it
> by using some Local views (as Billy suggested) for the users 'cause I
> don't really want to waste time arguing with her. I was her M$SQL DBA
> and she doesn't know much about M$SQL anyway.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Gary

Im not attacking SQL Server. It may well be a viable platform what you want to do. Its my opinion that a 'manager' who is getting payed should be held to a higher standard. She is acting like a functional user with no technical understanding whatsoever. Her response is what you expect from your users. Which is acceptable from them since they just want it to work.

Doesnt it suck when you have to train your boss? Been there. Received on Mon Sep 15 2003 - 12:39:55 CEST

Original text of this message