Re: She doesn't want the ODBC users to see system views/tables via M$ Access.

From: Gary <rooty_hill2002_at_yahoo.com.au>
Date: 14 Sep 2003 18:21:29 -0700

rgaffuri_at_cox.net (Ryan Gaffuri) wrote in message news:<1efdad5b.0309120825.53772e47_at_posting.google.com>...
> rooty_hill2002_at_yahoo.com.au (Gary) wrote in message news:<171bd226.0309112108.ed6fcbb_at_posting.google.com>...
> > Hello guys!
> >
> > Bear with me, I am a newbie.
> >
> > She is the Data Warehouse manager. She has about 50 users to use the
> > Oracle database from M$ Access via ODBC connection. All those users
> > have only SELECT privileges on certain tables. I built all the roles
> > and users for them and they work fine.
> >
> > Then she asked "Why do YOU let them see all those system tables?",
> > I replied:
> > 1. First of all they are not tables, most of them are views;
> > 2. Your users only have select privileges on them; (I have done my
> > best to limit the privileges user PUBLIC has. I only give it select on
> > ALL_ views. Maybe I can do more about it, I just don't know how.)
> > 3. M$ Access needs these views to build its own environment;
> >
> > She went "Users didn't see them when we used Sql server, why should
> > them see now?"
> >
> > Bloody hell!
> >
> > Anyone got this kind of experience? I am pretty sure it is how M$
> > Access works when it builds the table list. I am trying to do some
> > investigation for M$ Access to see whether I can use some .ini file to
> > block those system views in the table list in Access.
> >
> > Any input is appreciated.
>

> Your datawarehouse manager is an idiot. Its not your fault your new at
> this. Oracle != SQL Server. Different architecture. Get her fired.
>
> OK if you cant do that, you need to rethink your design. Access NEEDS
> the system views to build lists of the tables you need right? You dont
> want the specific users themselves to have access to those views. Now
> is this an oracle question or an Access question(I dont know Access).
> Oracle is providing the Access account select priviledges on the
> views. Access needs these priviledges to do what it needs to do.
> Therefore Access must block select priviledges on these views. All you
> can do with Oracle is go, yes you can see them or no you cannot. If
> yes, then its up to the client.
>
> If Access cant block it, then your stuck.
>
> Your DW warehouse manager will want to go back to SQL Server because
> its 'superior'.

Ryan, thanks for this.

I can't agree with you more. Yes I am stuck but I am trying to fake it by using some Local views (as Billy suggested) for the users 'cause I don't really want to waste time arguing with her. I was her M$SQL DBA and she doesn't know much about M$SQL anyway.

Cheers,

Gary Received on Mon Sep 15 2003 - 03:21:29 CEST

Original text of this message