Re: Company thought DB2 will be better than Oracle.

From: Peter <peter_and_john2003_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 14 Sep 2003 04:24:26 -0700

I have worked on both Oracle and DB2 from Main frames to UNIX and to NT. DB2 on Main frames is not same as on UNIX, LINUX or NT. I have never seen disappearance of DB2 instance on OS/390. I have never seen DB2 DBA being asked to watch swap space on Main frames for binding.

I can not give you here the name of famous financial company in New York moving there critical DB2 applications from AIX to Main frames. It sounds strange but if you support DB2 on production servers in the same company for 2 years, you will understand my point that company is taking business risk by using DB2 on non-Main frames system. It is possible the situation may change in 5-10 years.

Peter