Re: Company thought DB2 will be better than Oracle.

From: Neil Truby <neil.truby_at_ardenta.com>
Date: Sun, 14 Sep 2003 01:52:07 +0100

"Jim Kennedy" <kennedy-downwithspammersfamily_at_attbi.net> wrote in message news:KZM8b.440312$uu5.78501_at_sccrnsc04...

> "Mark A" <ma_at_switchboard.net> wrote in message

> > Developers should not be doing binds in a production environment.
> >

> Doesn't matter, in order for them to get the programs from one environment
> to another they needed to compile their code in production to bind it.
> (according to that group) It was a large company and we were just a small
> part of one group. (It was a mainframe after all.) The point being DB2
was
> poorly designed with respect to concurrency. No reason more than one
person
> should not be able to bind at a time. It means that "ad hoc" or dynamic
sql
> on DB2 means everyone serializes behind it. That is very very ugly. Sure
> one can administratively work around it by telling everyone not to use a
> feature of the database, still it is a severe limitation.

My point of raising the issue of bind was to demonstrate what a law unto itself IBM is, using this (warning, red-rag phrase alert!) dated concept beyond its sell-by date.

I suppose we only comment upon it unfavourably because, er, well, because we comment upon it unfavourably. If it were some killer piece of functionality that set DB2 UDB above the herd, we'd talk about in awesome tones ....

A personal take on the wider debate is that DB2 UDB sites are few and far between here in the UK, so far as our market and sales team can tell. We come at this subject from the Informix side. Of course, many customers are abandonning Informix because of the negative vibes they are getting from ISVs, or maybe from IBM themselves. Will they go to DB2? Well, presumably they chose Informix because they had some good reason not to go with the market leader. That strategy has bitten them in the arse. Surely they aren't going to risk obsolesence again by choosing another marginal player in the UNIX/Linux/NT space? And, irrrespective of its merits - and I write as a DB2 UDB certified professional - that's what DB2 UDB is in this space. Received on Sun Sep 14 2003 - 02:52:07 CEST

Original text of this message