Re: Company thought DB2 will be better than Oracle.

From: Larry Edelstein <lsedels_at_us.ibm.com>
Date: Sat, 13 Sep 2003 22:14:42 GMT

Daniel,

The point is this: in order for a sw product to run successfully on Windows, AIX, Solaris, HP, etc. ... in fact ... there must be some differences in the code base. You can't possibly be right about the Oracle code base being 100% the same. And if you are, it exposes a major flaw. You wouldn't want the codebase the be 100% the same because if that is the case, your db is not fully exploiting the features of that platform.

Windows threads vs. Solaris semaphones, Windows registry, HACMP on AIX vs. MSCS vs. HP Serviceguard. The internal features/functions, the APIs, the DDL and DML ...across Intel/UNIX/Linux are virtually the same.

Larry Edelstein

Daniel Morgan wrote:

Mark A wrote:
The DB2 code base for Windows, Linux and Unix is 90% the same.

The MVS, VM , and AS/400 products are all different, which is not really a
factor since either Oracle doesn't have a product on these platforms, or
the
if they do, the Oracle product is universally known to stink on these
platforms.

If you write stored procedures in C, you will need a compiler, but not
sure
if it needs to be on the production machine.  But if you say so, I would
concede that point. Stored procedures may also be written in SQL, which is
the preferred method. With regards to the total cost of ownership, I think
that you will find DB2 cheaper or the same as Oracle even with the
compiler
expense.

When you say "is 90% the same" isn't that just saying they are different
without saying it? Sort of like trying to say you are 90%  half-pregnant.

I don't think anyone should debate TOC as there are no standards by
which to judge the accuracy of the statement. Anyone that paid list price
for any hardware or software should buy their next car from me.
Daniel Morgan

The code base for DB2 on Windows, Linux, and Unix is 100% the same except
for those things that are operating system specific. Everything that is
possible to be the same, is the same on DB2 and that calculates to about
90%. Operating system specific code for DB2 has been isolated into separate
modules.

The same is true of Oracle. Please don't insult my intelligence by claiming
otherwise.

Sorry to say this but the code base for Oracle is 100% identical between platforms. I can develop on Win98, export tables, data, code, etc. Import directly to any other platform-operating system that Oracle supports and it runs, perfectly, with zero modifications.

The only difference I can possibly think of would be things that are path specific such as c:\temp changing to /opt/.

It isn't about insulting your intelligence ... it is a fact.

--
Daniel Morgan
damorgan_at_x.washington.edu