Re: Company thought DB2 will be better than Oracle.

From: Daniel Morgan <damorgan_at_x.washington.edu>
Date: Sat, 13 Sep 2003 15:06:41 -0700

Larry Edelstein wrote:

>Daniel,
>
>You are right about the flame war (although somehow I don't think we've seen the
>last of this one yet :-)). But let me tell you one thing: I may not be the most
>eloquent at describing the flaws or drawbacks of Oracle, but for you to take
>potshots at DB2 (many of which weren't even valid) and then pretend that Oracle has
>no drawbacks or flaws is insulting.
>
>Larry Edelstein

I don't believe I took any potshots at DB2 nor do I recall ever saying Oracle was flawless. Perhaps you should attend my lectures sometime. I take no potshots at anyone. I do, however, criticize freely when I find flaws or bugs. Software is a tool, not a religion. And there is no reason to be offensive, defensive, or feel the least bit attached to any particular product except to the extent that your paycheck comes from one of them. I teach for a university and my loyalty is to my students. If they wanted to learn Fortran IV I'd teach that to them.

So no attempt was made or intended to insult you, IBM, DB2, or anything else. What was made was a staight-forward statement of fact based on my years working with DB2 and statements confirmed by others here in the DB2 forum. Please don't take any of this personally. You just can't take a DB2 app on Windows and move it to OS/390 without recompiling. That's not an insult ... it is a fact.

--

Daniel Morgan
damorgan_at_x.washington.edu