Re: Company thought DB2 will be better than Oracle.

From: Jim Kennedy <kennedy-downwithspammersfamily_at_attbi.net>
Date: Sat, 13 Sep 2003 21:51:48 GMT

"Mark A" <ma_at_switchboard.net> wrote in message news:CYL8b.796$TJ.79084_at_news.uswest.net...
> > Speculating about the properties of a product you are not that familiar
> > with is like trying to jog across quick sand. While
> > I have worked extensively with DB2 it was some years ago so I try to
> > step gingerly when discussing specifics. But to
> > address your statement ... Oracle doesn't lock blocks. Period. You
> > couldn't do it if you tried. And with Oracle dropping
> > rollback segments in favor of undo almost all of the traditional
> > concerns are gone. I haven't seen an ORA-01555 in more
> > than a year. And that's in development. Haven't seen one in production
> > on a 9i server since its release.
> >
> > I do think we should be careful that what started out as one thing has
> > the potential to turn into a flame war. I'd suggest
> > everyone remember this are tools not religions, take a deep breath, and
> > step back form the abyss. Lets be sure to keep
> > this discussion professional.
> >
> > --
> > Daniel Morgan
>
> I think it is worth noting that issue raised about DB2 concurrency was
> talking about DB2 for OS/390. The person was referring to a development
> environment with lots of ad-hoc queries. Most shops have figured out how
> deal with these issues, although apparently there are some who lack
> experienced DBA's.
>
> Hopefully, the person who complained about DB2 for OS/390 concurrency
> problems does not suggest that anyone use Oracle for OS/390 to run a
> business (even though it is an "available" product).

No, this was a production environment. In the days of client server GUI s these might be "labled" ad hoc queries but in fact they were queries to run a production system for NYNEX. The tool did not allow "binding" and without issuing explicit commit statements after every select , insert, or update statement everyone else would get locked out of issuing queries or binding their plans for the production system. I thought mainframes were for production quality code. (and so did ATT) Jim Received on Sat Sep 13 2003 - 23:51:48 CEST

Original text of this message