Re: Company thought DB2 will be better than Oracle.

From: Mark A <ma_at_switchboard.net>
Date: Sat, 13 Sep 2003 15:16:26 -0600

>>The DB2 code base for Windows, Linux and Unix is 90% the same.

>>The MVS, VM , and AS/400 products are all different, which is not really a
>>factor since either Oracle doesn't have a product on these platforms, or
the
>>if they do, the Oracle product is universally known to stink on these
>>platforms.

>>If you write stored procedures in C, you will need a compiler, but not
sure
>>if it needs to be on the production machine. But if you say so, I would
>>concede that point. Stored procedures may also be written in SQL, which is
>>the preferred method. With regards to the total cost of ownership, I think
>>that you will find DB2 cheaper or the same as Oracle even with the
compiler
>>expense.

>When you say "is 90% the same" isn't that just saying they are different
>without saying it? Sort of like trying to say you are 90% half-pregnant.

>I don't think anyone should debate TOC as there are no standards by
>which to judge the accuracy of the statement. Anyone that paid list price
>for any hardware or software should buy their next car from me.
>Daniel Morgan

The code base for DB2 on Windows, Linux, and Unix is 100% the same except for those things that are operating system specific. Everything that is possible to be the same, is the same on DB2 and that calculates to about 90%. Operating system specific code for DB2 has been isolated into separate modules.

The same is true of Oracle. Please don't insult my intelligence by claiming otherwise. Received on Sat Sep 13 2003 - 23:16:26 CEST

Original text of this message