Re: Company thought DB2 will be better than Oracle.

From: Larry Edelstein <lsedels_at_us.ibm.com>
Date: Sat, 13 Sep 2003 17:17:01 GMT

Hi Daniel,

Code Bases:

The code base across Intel, UNIX, Linux (including with the partitioning option) is absolutely the same. There are some differences between the Intel/UNIX/Linux code base and the AS/400 and DB2/390 code bases ... but mostly in areas that a customer would actually want them to be different. For example, there must be slightly different code in order to exploit Windows threads/security vs. 390 Sysplex/Workload Manager. Key point: The DDL, DML, and APIs are virtually the same ... or very close, with any differences of note within the DDL ... because there are different physical storage structures on the 390. That's the nature of the beast when you have a database that is optimized to run so well on platforms that are vastly different.

My own opinion is even if there are differences, why make an issue out of it? Suppose your shop or company is Windows/UNIX-only and doesn't even have a mainframe? In that case, any differences would not even enter into the business case for or against a database.

In terms of the C compiler, there is no requirement for the C compiler to reside on a production machine. At the current point-in-time, you need a C compiler on a development machine ... and as long as it has the same os and db2 levels ... the SQL Stored procedure executables can be moved to any other box with those same levels. And ... I believe that IBM is working towards elimination of the C Compiler completely. Just like I'm sure that there are requirements against Oracle's db that they are working to address also.

Larry Edelstein

Daniel Morgan wrote:

Daniel ... again ... please express your opinions :-). But please do some research
and know your facts. On this post, there is almost no point where you have a valid
case.

--
Daniel Morgan
damorgan_at_x.washington.edu

Larry Edelstein
Then please corrrect me. My recollection from a few years ago when I was doing some DB2 work was that the code base for Windows was different from that for AIX was different from that for AS/400 was different from that for VM was different from that for MVS was different from that for Z-series requiring recompilation with a C compiler on the production box. And that the C compiler was not included with the database but was an extra expense.

I'd appreciate a clarification if this is no longer true or my memory is faulty.