Re: Company thought DB2 will be better than Oracle.

From: Daniel Morgan <damorgan_at_x.washington.edu>
Date: Fri, 12 Sep 2003 22:37:23 -0700

Mark A wrote:
DB2 is good on Unix, Linux, and Windows also. DBA's don't like DB2

because

it takes fewer of them to operate and they think there are more Oracle

jobs

in the marketplace.

Couldn't possibly be the lack of security without Tivoli or other
similar products?
Couldn't possibly be the lack of training classes?
Couldn't possibly be the lack of books?
Couldn't possibly be the fact that you need a C compiler on a production
box?
Couldn't possibly be the lack of third-party tools and applications?
Couldn't possibly be ....

And this from someone with 10+ years of DB2.

In short ... there are plenty of reasons why someone might not like DB2.
Which does not mean I am one of them. But rather to try to pin it on
DBAs is a bit of a farse. Oracle, itself, is currently redesigning the
DBA's roles and responsibilities to be less RDBMS management and more
and more integration with application servers and other components. The
idea that Oracle is hard to manage is just a repetition of mythology: It
is no longer true. Just as many things about DB2 that were true five
years ago are no longer true.

--
Daniel Morgan

Those might be good reasons (if they were all true, but I don't agree that
they are) for a manager to make that decision in favor of one product over
another. But 90% of DBA's only care about the state of the job market and
how their skills match up to that market.

And why shouldn't they. The old social contract where employees were loyal to companies and companies were loyal to employees was stabbed in the back by MBA's quite a few years ago. Boeing, for example, has no shortage of people
whose jobs were off-shored just because it saved a few dollars.

And I'm not saying Boeing is bad and that I wouldn't have done the same in their position ... but under such conditions why shouldn't a DBA be thinking about the mortgage and putting the kids through college?
--
Daniel Morgan
damorgan_at_x.washington.edu