Re: Company thought DB2 will be better than Oracle.

From: Larry Edelstein <lsedels_at_us.ibm.com>
Date: Sat, 13 Sep 2003 02:45:41 GMT

Daniel,

I don't have any problem with you expressing your opinion. But I do have to set the record straight.

What lack of security? DB2 uses the underlying OS for authentication security and has the same internal object security that other rdbmses have. Can you provide more specifics on what you mean by this and how it manifests itself in the form of any issues?

Plenty of DB2 training classes. Take a look at the IBM Education schedules.

There are some very good DB2 books published on DB2. Do we need tons of them by different authors each serving the same purpose?

What makes you think that you need a compiler on a production box? I do not think that is accurate.

And as far as the third-party tools and applications, I can't believe you took a swat at that one. There were something like > 40000 last time I checked.

Your points are sometimes well-taken. With all due respect, these had some significant inaccuracies.

Larry Edelstein