Re: She doesn't want the ODBC users to see system views/tables via M$ Access.

From: Mark D Powell <Mark.Powell_at_eds.com>
Date: 12 Sep 2003 06:52:57 -0700

rooty_hill2002_at_yahoo.com.au (Gary) wrote in message news:<171bd226.0309112108.ed6fcbb_at_posting.google.com>...
> Hello guys!
>
> Bear with me, I am a newbie.
>
> She is the Data Warehouse manager. She has about 50 users to use the
> Oracle database from M$ Access via ODBC connection. All those users
> have only SELECT privileges on certain tables. I built all the roles
> and users for them and they work fine.
>
> Then she asked "Why do YOU let them see all those system tables?",
> I replied:
> 1. First of all they are not tables, most of them are views;
> 2. Your users only have select privileges on them; (I have done my
> best to limit the privileges user PUBLIC has. I only give it select on
> ALL_ views. Maybe I can do more about it, I just don't know how.)
> 3. M$ Access needs these views to build its own environment;
>
> She went "Users didn't see them when we used Sql server, why should
> them see now?"
>
> Bloody hell!
>
> Anyone got this kind of experience? I am pretty sure it is how M$
> Access works when it builds the table list. I am trying to do some
> investigation for M$ Access to see whether I can use some .ini file to
> block those system views in the table list in Access.
>
> Any input is appreciated.

Gary, I do not know if you can remove the Oracle dictionary views from ODBC users because I have traced ODBC connections in the past and the connections issue queries against the dictionary views to build SQL statements with. That is the actual SQL in the application just queries tables but behind the scenes it appeared the ODBC queried Oracle to find out column information like datatype etc....

HTH -- Mark D Powell -- Received on Fri Sep 12 2003 - 15:52:57 CEST

Original text of this message