Re: How to create a SIMPLE distributed database in Oracle??

From: Mark D Powell <Mark.Powell_at_eds.com>
Date: 12 Sep 2003 06:26:43 -0700

channa_s <member33438_at_dbforums.com> wrote in message news:<3362037.1063358016_at_dbforums.com>...
> Hi,
>
> I would be very grateful if anyone could help me with the following. I
> want to create a SIMPLE distributed database. It is as follows:
>
> There is a institution which has branches all over the country offering
> various courses.
>
> I want to horizontally fragment the following table and place each
> fragment in each branch.
>
> COURSE (cno, branch, cname, lecturer)
>
> I have 2 databases, one in Windows NT and the Other in HP-UX. How do I
> created the GLOBAL schema? How do I create the LOCAL schema?
>
> Also if I want to replicate the cno and name in each branch for
> improvement of queries, how can I achive this?
>
> Thanks & Regards,
> Francis

Francis, in reality there is probably no such thing as a simple distributed database since this implies a single logical database constructed on a series of physically separate databases that have to coordinated for backup, recovery, and usage.

Distributed processsing on the other hand is fairly simple and straight-forward. On the system to be accessed create a user with all the desired process privileges. Then on the database that the distributed queries will be issued from create a database link that connects as the user you just set up on the remote system.

If only one table is involved in your requirements then using simple replication might be a possibility for you.

Oracle provides several distributed processing manuals as part of the documentation set that you should consult.

IMHO -- Mark D Powell -- Received on Fri Sep 12 2003 - 15:26:43 CEST

Original text of this message