number defined being truncated in select (sorry double posting ;-( )

From: Pascal <pbrenner_at_REMOVEMEevolition.com.au>
Date: Wed, 10 Sep 2003 10:26:52 GMT

We have a customer that is encountering a strange situation.

He has found that if he has a column defined in the DB as a number it only diplays within the first 7 digits. However if he have the same data in a column defined as number(9) there is not problem.

table tmp_customer (custid1 number(9), custid2 number) values (123456789,123456789)
when he selects this data using a ORACLE 9 driver in the connection setup he gets:

CUSTID1 CUSTID2
123456789 1234567

He has tried this same scenario against and ORACLE 8 DB and have no problem

Any suggestion on that one ?

I have been reading the documentation and it is clearly stated that it is up to 38 digit so I guess 7 would be OK.

I do not know if there is any setting that can affect that ?

Thanks

Pascal