Re: How to disabled all constraints when importing data (urgent)

From: Guido Konsolke <Guido.Konsolke_at_triaton.com>
Date: Mon, 8 Sep 2003 13:01:56 +0200

"Paul" <jiacheng_work_at_yahoo.com> wrote in news:f294310c.0309080223.62b22c2a_at_posting.google.com...
> Hi:
>
> I am not sure whether somebody can sort it out for me.
>

> I am doing data transfer from one oracle database to another. Both
 of
> them has the same structure (like same tables etc).the only thing i
> need to do is data transfering.
>
> i designed a vb program to do this, What i am worrying is when I run
> this program it might fire some constrants. Anybody can give me some
> ideas on how to avoid these constraints when data import?? I have to
> disable all the constrainsts first or i can do it in another way?
>
> Millions thanks in advance!
> Paul

Hi Paul,

are you really sure using VB is the right thing for this task? It smells like imp / exp would be the better way. Anyway: you can defer the column constraints with the 'set constraints all deferred' statement before starting the data insert. Then the constraints will come into play at commit time. If the constraints aren't deferable, you have to use some pl/sql to loop through user_constraints to get the names and issue dynamic sql statements which disable those constraints.

hth,
Guido Received on Mon Sep 08 2003 - 13:01:56 CEST

Original text of this message