Re: Light Oracle 9i Client install

From: Frank <fvanbortel_at_netscape.net>
Date: Fri, 22 Aug 2003 20:53:37 +0200

DBDriver wrote:

> Thanks.
>
> Disks aren't expensive in single lots but multiply it out by # of
> workstations and IS support time to add the disk and then load the Oracle
> Client on each PC and it starts to look more expensive. Past experience with
> scalability shows that lots of insignificant costs and "creative" time
> charging can add big bucks to a project.
>
> The site previously did this type of install with the Oracle ODBC driver so
> now have an expectation to duplicate this functionality with the OLEDB
> driver. The question was more a speculator just in case someone has been
> down the path and cracked some solution.
>
> R.
>

> <sybrandb_at_yahoo.com> wrote in message
>

>>"DBDriver" <Gtender_at_iig2.com.au> wrote in message

>>>Is there any way to install the W2K 9i client to be registered locally

> but
>
>>>actually run the programs from a common file server?
>>>
>>>Situation: We have a client with limited client disk resources which

> require
>
>>>OLEDB to be loaded on each workstation. This in turn requires the Oracle
>>>Client layer which is quite heavy and time consuming across a large

> site. Is
>
>>>there a "thin" OLEDB option available to service this environment?
>>>
>>>Thanks in advance,
>>>
>>>R.
>>

>>I don't think there is. Also Oracle doesn't support network installs.
>>And disk is cheap, even in Australia ;-)
>>
>>Sybrand Bakker
>>Senior Oracle DBA

Unsupported installations work sometimes. In fact, a lot of times. There's nothing against the installation on a mapped disk, but it is indeed not supported.
There are tools that will take a snapshot of the state of a machine, after which you install, and take a second snapshot. Subtract snapshot 1 from 2, and the tool will know the files added, modified, environment variables, etc, etc. Put these into one package, and roll out - even on demand (you need this driver - hmmm, got this install for you.)

If you have to do it by hand, beware of all the things that might change - especially on M$ (win\system32, registry, etc)

--
Regards, Frank van Bortel