Re: Porting database from Oracle7.0 to Oracle8i

From: Vijay Singh <vij_singh_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Sat, 16 Aug 2003 14:38:45 +0100

"Frank" <fvanbortel_at_netscape.net> wrote in message news:bhl6ge$dsk$1_at_news2.tilbu1.nb.home.nl...
> Vijay Singh wrote:
>
> > <sybrandb_at_yahoo.com> wrote in message
> >
> >>"Vijay Singh" <vij_singh_at_hotmail.com> wrote in message

> > porting

> >>You aren't serious, are you? You can copy or ftp binary the export to
> >>the other machine.
> >>Geez. If you really were an inquiring mind, you would have known this.
> >>But apparently you are completely clueless.
> >>
> >>Sybrand Bakker
> >>Senior Oracle DBA
> >

> > Sorry, I obiviously know to ftp across to other machine after exporting
 it
> > from the source(Oracle 7.0 running on Dynix). What I want to know is, if
> > there is a ready script which can create the file which will be
 compatible
> > to Oracle 8i (running on Solaris).
> >
> > Also if I may say, it doesn't really says much about you being a senior
> > oracle DBA, if you can't understand what some body is asking you. You
 must
> > think too much about your self to be such a arrogant person. You are DBA
 not
> > god, so come back to earth and say real things.
> >
> OK, <god mode off>
> How's reading the utilities manual?
> Ever heard of the fact that export files are upward compatible, even
> cross-platform?
> And why would you need a script if the CLI command exp help=y
> would provide you with all the information you need?
> exp system/manager file=/tmp/full_exp.dmp log=/var/log/exp_full.log
> compress=n full=y
> ftp
> imp (on the other machine, obviously!)

Thanks Frank, thats what I was thinking to do in theory. As I am not a DBA I was trying to find out if the there is a better way. And the reason I was trying to find out for a better way because I have to give this solution to some body who is not a DBA either. Well but thanks for confirming that our theory was on the right track and thanks for being kind. BTW On a lighter note, are you a DBA? If you are, then always be the way you are now. Tell you, people like, DBAs like you, it is hard to find DBAs like you. Every where I have worked, I met DBAs and Administrators who think they are Gods, hence the god mode. LOL

Cheers Frank.
Vijay