Re: Oracle 8i VS Oracle 9i certificate

From: Ryan Gaffuri <rgaffuri_at_cox.net>
Date: 13 Aug 2003 09:15:11 -0700

sjgrad03 <member35423_at_dbforums.com> wrote in message news:<3232218.1060741918_at_dbforums.com>...
> Hello:
>
> I want to get certificated as a DBA in oracle. There are two
> path:Oracle 8i and Oracle 9i. I am want to know which one has more
> applicatioin in the industry(in other words easy to get a job)
>

> a) I also want to know what are some good reference books for
> OCA exams.
>
> I found one titled" OCA Oracle9i Associate DBA Certification Exam
> Guide" by Couchman and Marisetti. Is this book a good one?
>
> b) What are some good online resources that provide helpfull
> information on exams revieing and planty of exams questions.
>
> c) What are the good appoach to take the exams? Self study, Taking
> classes at a computer training school or remote educations?
>
> Please give me some advises. I will appreicate your help for sharing
> your experience and insights:)!
>

> jeff
>
> 8-12-03

if you do 9i its 4 tests plus a $2000 5 days class that is during the workday.

if you do 8i its 5 tests then an upgrade test for 6 total.

how much money do you want to spend?

Computer training is a waste of money. its not interactive so you wont retain much of anything. I just got the osborne books in a bundle. I read the docs at OTN.ORACLE.COM for each section of the test. I also read the concepts guide and the server concepts guide. Then i play around with an instance I have at home. When I have trouble following something, I search for it on dejanews.com or ask. Its important to use more than just the study guides. Its easier that way, but you dont have to buy anything.

You only need to get about 70% right or less on each test.

if youi have a technical background the classes are a waste of money. They are 5 days all day long. Too fast to retain anything. If you dont have technical experience, you wont get a job as a DBA anyway, so dont waste your time. Received on Wed Aug 13 2003 - 18:15:11 CEST

Original text of this message