Re: Oracle tablespace management

From: Stephen_CA <stephen.bell_at_sympatico.ca>
Date: 12 Aug 2003 09:16:00 -0700

aone1504_at_yahoo.com (Srini) wrote in message news:<e5aecd60.0308120148.1cd03e5e_at_posting.google.com>...
> In our Oracle installation on SCO Unix, we have reached almost 100% of
> tablespace allocated to Oracle. Now we have deleted a large table from
> the database after taking backup elsewhere.
> [1] Now if we start inserting rows to the table, will the tablespace
> try to grow further or will Oracle utilise the space available because
> of deletion of the table rows.?
>
> [2] How do we add more space from the Operating system to Oracle
> tablespace?
>

> Thanks,
> Srini

Hi,

[1] If you merely deleted the rows it will not release the space; if you truncated the table (or dropped and recreated it) it will try to use the space

[2] Use the ALTER TABLESPACE command to either:

   i) resize one or more datafiles that make up the tablespace or;    ii) add a datafile to the tablespace

Hope this helps,

Steve Received on Tue Aug 12 2003 - 18:16:00 CEST

Original text of this message