Re: [newbie] Why does not my installer start?

From: ketil V. <ketil_at_ketil.homeunix.net>
Date: Thu, 07 Aug 2003 23:40:46 +0200

sybrandb_at_yahoo.com wrote:

> "ketil V." <ketil_v_at_c2i.net> wrote in message

>> Steve wrote:
>> > "ketil V." <ketil_v_at_c2i.net> wrote in message

>> > Because you haven't set the DISPLAY variable correctly.
>>
>> hmmm, I believed that since I was able to start other graphical
>> programs, as Mozilla, from xterm, I were able to start the
>> installer as well. (Silly me...)
>>
>> What is the values for the DISPLAY variable? - Ideally I would
>> like to run the installer from a xterm console on a remote
>> computer, via ssh (ssh 192.168.2.96 -loracle)
>
> <name or ip of your terminal>:0.0
>
> On the server :0 should be sufficient
>
> Sybrand Bakker
> Senior Oracle DBA

Sadly, I tried it and it failed on Oracle...

The problem is not that I am unable to run graphical programs in Java through xterm, I made a small "hello world" and it works just as fine as YaST2 or Mozilla through a ssh - session in xterm. The only problem is the 8.1.7 installer.

I have tried all solutions I have found on the web, and used help from BLUG (Bergen Linux (and BSD) User Group), no.it.database and other groups, as well as RH9, SuSE 7.3, 8.0, 8.1 and 8.2, and everything I found on both the SuSE support pages and SuSE mailing list archive, and it is as simple as this: I am unable to use the installer!

I do not have the slightest idea about why this happends, I have tried the unset and kerneltweaks (and changing the GLIBC - versions) found on the web on pages supporting SusE, ManDrake and Redhat. I am looking all the wrong places, because nothing works...

I have spent over a week on this problem (morning, day and night in my Summer holiday - thank god I got a patient wife) and have found an easy solution: I dropped 8.1.7 and installed 9.2 instead...

The installer of 9.2 did (almost) not have any problems at all, the system is up and running.

:-D

I did make a log of the problems (in Norwegian), and put it on http://ketil.homeunix.net/logg/server/oracle/ - The 8.1.7_3_linux - version of the Oracle database is the only program I have been unable to get going. Received on Thu Aug 07 2003 - 23:40:46 CEST

Original text of this message