Re: PROBLEM WITH DISCOVERER JOINS

From: Ana RM <ana_at_semicrol.es>
Date: 4 Aug 2003 04:13:05 -0700

Mark.Powell_at_eds.com (Mark D Powell) wrote in message news:<2687bb95.0308010642.1fc4ff1f_at_posting.google.com>...
> ana_at_semicrol.es (Ana RM) wrote in message news:<a392afb6.0308010137.7d25e539@posting.google.com>...
> > Hi everybody!!
> >
> > I had implemented a datawarehouse based on star squema. I have
> > dimensions, facts and relational tables.So I want to joins then in
> > Discoverer.
> >
> > The situation is the following: I have 2 dimensions and one fact table
> > and one relational table. The problem is that I cannot take objets
> > from the fact table and the relational table at the same time, because
> > both of them are joined with the 2 dimensions: relational table is
> > join to one Dimension1 element and the fact table is joined to another
> > element of the same dimension, so happens with Dimension2.
> >
> > I worked on Bussiness Objects and contexts solved that problem. Do you
> > know how to do it in Discoverer?
> >
> > Thanks for your help in advance,
> >
> > Ana
>
> Ana, to be honest I do not fully understand your problem as I do not
> work on a warehouse and have no experience with Business Objects, but
> I have had to help people resolve complex joins in Discoverer. If the
> problem can be solved using SQL in the database then what I have found
> is often helpful is to create views in the database to handle some of
> these tasks. The views are then referenced by the Discoverer users.
> Joins between the views can be setup to help handle more complex
> relationships. If logic is required to solve the problem then
> Discoverer is probably not the tool to use to see the data.
>
> HTH -- Mark D Powell --

Hi Mark,

Thanks por answer me. I do not think it is important thw warehouse knowledge to solve my problem because at the end all the tables are relational.

The point is that I do not want make changes in the database, I want work only with Discoverer to solve this problem. Perhaps I could do something in the EUL with complex folders and creating calcules but it does not work.

Any idea about doing it with complex folders and calcules?

Thanks you,

Ana Received on Mon Aug 04 2003 - 13:13:05 CEST

Original text of this message