Re: Questions about Oracle 9i Upgrade

From: <sybrandb_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 4 Aug 2003 00:43:29 -0700

"cpchan" <cpchaney_at_netvigator.com> wrote in message news:<bgduij$9or1_at_imsp212.netvigator.com>...
> If I want to upgrade the following system :
>
> (1) Oracle 8i RDBMS
> (2) Oracle Finance 11.5.2
>
> to :
>
> (1) Oracle 9i RDBMS
> (2) Oracle Finance 11.5.8
>
> I have the following questions :
> (1) What will the "upgrade" process actually do ? Install a new Oracle 9i
> instance and then copy all the records to it from the existing 8i ? Or the
> 9i CD can detect the 8i automatically and then upgrade it and all the 8i
> control files and log files can be kept ?
>
> (2) How about the Oracle Finance upgrade ? Does it need to be done together
> with 9i upgrade ? Or there can be an intermediate stage : Oracle Finance
> 11.5.2 running on Oracle 9i ?

1)
The migrate utility will discover the old 8i database, and upgrade it's dictionary to 9i. If you want two databases, you'll need to create a new 9i datase, export the 8i database, and import it into 9i

2) Please read the release notes and installation instructions

Sybrand Bakker
Senior Oracle DBA Received on Mon Aug 04 2003 - 09:43:29 CEST

Original text of this message