Re: Oracle 8.1.7 problems installing

From: Chris Leonard <s_p_a_m_chris_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Mon, 4 Aug 2003 16:15:42 -0500

James - you could be running into a known issue with installing Oracle8i software on a P4. Here is a plain-text section of our internal documentation of the issue:

Subject/Title: Installing Oracle software on Pentium 4 computers Category: Oracle, Oracle Client Software ITS area: Administrative Information Systems

When trying to install some Oracle8i software on a PC with a Pentium 4 processor, JREW.EXE may fail to launch the installer successfully. This is because the Symantec Just-In-Time Compiler (symcjit.dll) does not recognize the processor type. To work around this, do the following:

  1. Install the latest Windows* 2000 Service Pack patch: http://www.microsoft.com/windows2000/downloads/
  2. Create a temporary directory on your Intel PentiumŪ 4 processor server (e.g. \TEMP).
  3. Copy the contents of the Oracle* Server CD to the temporary directory created in step 2.
  4. Search the directory structure created in step 2 for the existence of the filename SYMCJIT.DLL.
  5. Rename each copy of the SYMCJIT.DLL to SYMCJIT.OLD.
  6. Run the SETUP.EXE from the \TEMP\install\win32 directory and install Oracle 8.1.x.

Sources:
http://www.intel.com/support/processors/pentium4/issues.htm http://www.orafaq.com/msgboard/windows/messages/299.htm

--
Cheers,