Re: Problem of installing Oracle on Linux

From: ketil V. <ketil_v_at_c2i.net>
Date: Sat, 02 Aug 2003 19:04:10 GMT

MJ23 wrote:
> Dear all,
>
> I have treid to install Oracle 8.1.7 enterprise on Linux Redhat 8 and 9
> version. However, both of the linux version has the same problem. It said
> cannot initialize VM or say waiting for VM initialize but wait for very
> long long time but has no response. I have tried gcc-java, Sun microsystem
> JDK2 and IBM java. However, all of them are not work. Can anyone help me
> what I have done incorrectly or anything missing as I have set nothing in my
> .bash_profile and also the server setting (e.g. metaphroe,memory setting
> etc.). Thanks a lot.
>
> Michael

I got the same problems myself in SuSE 8.2, are trying to alter the configuration for the screen, have gotten a tips: Try to install in 1024x768 resolution or better, 8 - bit colors.

I'll try it myself as soon as possible, but I think I broke some hardware when switching to a better monitor...

If you use 8.1.7 v3 (the current version of 8.1.7) it got its own java. If you dont, use ONLY Blackdown java 1.1.8_v3.

See http://www.puschitz.com/InstallingOracle9i.html for more info about the java - version, I got the hint about the low color depth from a competent professional in Norway but have not been able to try it myself yet.

Please send me a mail if you solve the problem... Received on Sat Aug 02 2003 - 21:04:10 CEST

Original text of this message