Re: Oracle Database Applications - platform dependancy??

From: Ed prochak <ed.prochak_at_magicinterface.com>
Date: 25 Jul 2003 10:56:26 -0700

murali_kannan_r <murali_kannan_r_at_rediffmail.com> wrote in message news:<3151121.1059117016_at_dbforums.com>...
> Hi,
> I am new to Database. I want to develop a database application using
> C/C++. The database is oracle. The application will work on unix and NT
> platforms. For the above, what is the best way to do??
>
> Since ODBC libraries (manager, and drivers) are available for Unix
> platforms, can I write my applications using raw ODBC api's???
>
> or
>
> Can PRO*C/C++ be useful???

I'd say this is a lot easier than using ODBC calls.

> or
>
> Is there any other way???

Oracle Call Interface (OCI) gives a little more control than Pro*C

> Suggestions are highly appreciated.
>
> Thanks in advance,
> Muralikannan.

Key question to ask is:

 will you ever port this application to another database?

 If not (IOW it will only run using ORACLE), then I strongly suggest the OCI or ProC tools.

Since you are new to using databases, I would kindly suggest you make sure you get an understanding of what they do and how they work. They are not a fancy file system. Learn SQL as a minimum then maybe start designing your application. Remember Wirth's observation: algorithms + datastructures = programs

Good luck! Received on Fri Jul 25 2003 - 19:56:26 CEST

Original text of this message