Required field for updates

From: Walt <walt_at_boatnerd.com.invalid>
Date: Thu, 24 Jul 2003 11:12:43 -0400

It's easy to make a field required for inserts, just set it to not null and don't give it a default.

But how does one make a field required for updates? For instance, we have a table with a field that keeps track of which application last updated the table

MYTABLE

ID PK
APPLICATION_ID
MORE_STUFF I want to write a PL/SQL trigger that requires the application to specify the appilication_id, and throw an error if the application fails
to provide a value. I.e. this SQL command should fail:

"UPDATE MYTABLE set MORE_STUFF = 'foo' WHERE ID = 123;"

IOW, how does one determine the update list in a PL/SQL trigger? I can check to see if the value changed, but that won't do it.

--

//-Walt
//