Re: Experienced PLSQL, Newbie to Java -- Why would one use java?

From: <sybrandb_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 18 Jul 2003 00:47:00 -0700

dusan.chromy_at_tiscali.cz (Dusan Chromy) wrote in message news:<12e4f4ff.0307162327.3edf58f6_at_posting.google.com>...
> J. W. <someone_at_comcast.com> wrote in message news:<gvqbhv4l68d03l3oo941lkcen6e3tltlne@4ax.com>...
> > OK, so java in Oracle has been around for a while, but in my jobs,
> > there hasn't been a need for us to use java. So now I'm looking into
> > java for the apps. In the past, web apps based on Oracle technology
> > used PL/SQL and the web toolkit. Now, that still exists, and there's
> > even PL/SQL Server Pages that can be used to retrieve information and
> > present it to a web browser.
> >
> > But, when/why would I use java in any of these apps if I'm staying on
> > a Oracle9i database and Oracle 9iAS app server?
> >
> > thanks.
>
> Oh,
>
> the reasons are numerous. I wrote a SP in Java recently which
> publishes messages to a JMS (Java Messaging Service) Server. So
> integration with Java technology is one answer to your question.
> Another, no less sensible reason, is using a modern, object-oriented
> language, as opposed to the limited PL/SQL.
>
> Dusan

Pray tell me, what reason do you have to call PL/SQL limited? Do you prefer a memory hungry interpreted language with an awful syntax, which is just the latest hype (like OO is too) to a compiled native language?
You can't be serious about that, unless you work for a hardware vendor Java is a disaster. It is mainly used by developers who can't think, can't program, and don't know Oracle.

Sybrand Bakker
Senior Oracle DBA Received on Fri Jul 18 2003 - 09:47:00 CEST

Original text of this message