Re: Experienced PLSQL, Newbie to Java -- Why would one use java?

From: Dusan Chromy <dusan.chromy_at_tiscali.cz>
Date: 17 Jul 2003 00:27:47 -0700

J. W. <someone_at_comcast.com> wrote in message news:<gvqbhv4l68d03l3oo941lkcen6e3tltlne_at_4ax.com>...
> OK, so java in Oracle has been around for a while, but in my jobs,
> there hasn't been a need for us to use java. So now I'm looking into
> java for the apps. In the past, web apps based on Oracle technology
> used PL/SQL and the web toolkit. Now, that still exists, and there's
> even PL/SQL Server Pages that can be used to retrieve information and
> present it to a web browser.
>
> But, when/why would I use java in any of these apps if I'm staying on
> a Oracle9i database and Oracle 9iAS app server?
>
> thanks.

Oh,

the reasons are numerous. I wrote a SP in Java recently which publishes messages to a JMS (Java Messaging Service) Server. So integration with Java technology is one answer to your question. Another, no less sensible reason, is using a modern, object-oriented language, as opposed to the limited PL/SQL.

Dusan Received on Thu Jul 17 2003 - 09:27:47 CEST

Original text of this message