Re: Oracle to double hiring of Indians

From: Jim Kennedy <kennedy-down_with_spammers_at_no_spam.comcast.net>
Date: Thu, 17 Jul 2003 02:57:54 GMT

"Nuno Souto" <wizofoz2k_at_yahoo.com.au> wrote in message news:73e20c6c.0307161547.f6eb9ea_at_posting.google.com...
> "Jim Kennedy" <kennedy-down_with_spammers_at_no_spam.comcast.net> wrote in
message news:<R94Ra.75016$H17.22125_at_sccrnsc02>...

> > of jobs over to India, China, and Russia.(so they can close plants in
Oregon
> > etc for "cheaper" plants in India. There is a whole new set of BUZZ
words
> > (something like capability maturity model or some such thing.) to
"support"
> > this.(written by a gentleman of Indian extraction) Basically, it is
>
> I wonder why it was written by that person...
> In one of the last TIME magazine issues, there is a full length
> article on the perils of manufacturing anything in these countries.
> It deals mostly with golf clubs made in China and the subsequent
> piracy of designs and products. But it applies to everything.
> Worth a read.
>
> > cons. Why? Because to bean counters people are pluggable modules.
(maybe
> > we should get rid of all the native bean counters and just use Indian or
> > Chinese ones? Hmmm, that's an idea.)
>
> Long overdue. I fail to understand how IT has to be "rationalized"
> and the accounting groups on the contrary have to expand? Must be
> the "efficiencies" of using SAP software...
>
> Cheers
> Nuno Souto
> wizofoz2k_at_yahoo.com.au.nospam

Nuno,
Agreed. A friend of mine worked for SUN on their largest servers. (these things start at 5 figures and have a hefty profit margin) These servers are tested and made sure that they meet high availibility standards and then some bean counter gets them to replace some $50 boards (made domesticly under strict quality control - and no problems with them) with a board made in China that is now $30 cost, but is not as reliable. What stupid savings! (on a machine that starts at 5 figures and has a healthy profit margin) Now that's what you call penny wise and pound foolish!

In addition to the SAP observation the bean counters are holding a lot of purse strings.

Jim Received on Thu Jul 17 2003 - 04:57:54 CEST

Original text of this message