Re: Oracle newbie

From: Mark D Powell <Mark.Powell_at_eds.com>
Date: 16 Jul 2003 06:31:20 -0700

database_at_freemail.gr (db_happy) wrote in message news:<b625e551.0307160202.c7d6981_at_posting.google.com>...
> Hello
>
> I install Oracle8 Enterprise Edition Release 8.0.4 for Windows NT and
> I choose Typical in Starter Database.As I understand ORACLE create a
> sample database for me (If that is wrong please inform me).Also the
> installation create some services.Probably my starter database is
> OracleServiceORCL and OracleStartORCL which they running.Also running
> OracleTNSListener80 and OracleWebAssistant.
>
> Then i try to connect with Oracle Enterprise Manager with username
> internal and password oracle (i found this information in the
> Internet).In the left upper pane none of the choices show me nothing.
>
> How can i show my database in Oracle Enterprise Manager?
> Can this done via SQL (I am interested more in connection howto no in
> common SQL queries - but a full example it is OK for me)

1- Please do not cross-post.
2- Try userid system with password manager
3- I believe that by building the starter db everything is set up to
allow you to connect via sqlplus so you can query the Oracle rdbms dictionary tables for just about anything you want to know. The following article explains the basics of the dictionary in about 2 pages of material:

How do I find information about a database object: table, index, constraint, view, etc… in Oracle ?
http://www.jlcomp.demon.co.uk/faq/object_info.html

HTH -- Mark D Powell -- Received on Wed Jul 16 2003 - 15:31:20 CEST

Original text of this message