Problem with Oracle 9i on laptops -- disk writes every 1-2 seconds!

From: Larry Melia <larrymeliaNOSPAM_at_ieee.org>
Date: Mon, 30 Jun 2003 06:56:33 GMT

I've been working with Oracle 9i for about 8 months on windows XP (the same problem occurs with WIN2000). However, I noticed that the latest release has some software that "hits the disk" about every 1-2 seconds! Anyway, this is a real problem on my laptop, because it can NEVER go into a low-battery-mode since the disk sub-system is always active. Does anyone know how to shut this 1-2 second disk hit (evdently a disk-write from what I can tell)? I've spent about 16 hours
trying to trace which processes which are hitting-the-disk! I've almost identified it, but when I shut down those processes, I still get the disk-hits! This is BAD NEWS for laptop users that have to work off battery. Anyway, I hope ORACLE will fix this problem soon!

Thank you in advance for your advise! Received on Mon Jun 30 2003 - 08:56:33 CEST

Original text of this message