Re: Problem with Oracle 9i on laptops -- disk writes every 1-2 seconds!

From: Rauf Sarwar <rs_arwar_at_hotmail.com>
Date: 30 Jun 2003 08:40:21 -0700

"Larry Melia" <larrymeliaNOSPAM_at_ieee.org> wrote in message news:<BaRLa.90454$49.3455220_at_twister.socal.rr.com>...
> I've been working with Oracle 9i for about 8 months on windows XP (the same
> problem occurs with WIN2000). However, I noticed that the latest release has
> some software that "hits the disk" about every 1-2 seconds! Anyway, this is
> a real problem on my laptop, because it can NEVER go into a low-battery-mode
> since the disk sub-system is always active. Does anyone know how to shut
> this 1-2 second disk hit (evdently a disk-write from what I can tell)? I've
> spent about 16 hours
> trying to trace which processes which are hitting-the-disk! I've almost
> identified it, but when I shut down those processes, I still get the
> disk-hits! This is BAD NEWS for laptop users that have to work off battery.
> Anyway, I hope ORACLE will fix this problem soon!
>
> Thank you in advance for your advise!

I have both 8i and 9i on my Dell laptop (Win2K). I generally run only one of the databases on as needed basis. Other then Oracle utilizing memory... I have not seen any *unusual* I/O. It must be some process in your particular database (or some other OS process) that is running every few seconds and doing some disk I/O.

Regards
/Rauf Sarwar Received on Mon Jun 30 2003 - 17:40:21 CEST

Original text of this message