Re: -- determine changing time of record

From: Mark D Powell <Mark.Powell_at_eds.com>
Date: 30 Jun 2003 06:17:54 -0700

sybrandb_at_yahoo.com wrote in message news:<a1d154f4.0306300047.3fa7700_at_posting.google.com>...
> avanrossem_at_hotmail.com (Andre) wrote in message news:<4d32d1be.0306292241.38bbdd1d_at_posting.google.com>...
> > Hello all,
> >
> > In my database I have a table with records. (Yes I have!!)
> > Last week a record is changed, but I want to know on which date/time
> > that was.
> > Is there a oracle field in the table (like rownum) in which I can see
> > the time which the recoird has changed??
> >
> > (please do not answer with the sollution to add an extra "field" in
> > the table and let a trigger fill that field with the changingdate. It
> > is too late for that :-) )
> >

> > THANKS and regards,
> > Andre
> > The Netherlands
>

> Please don't ask for advice if you don't want to implement the obvious
> and *ONLY* solution. Your remark 'it is too late for that' is just
> what is: ridiculous and utter bs. Tables can be ALTERed easily, and
> nothing will be affected by that: RDBMS lesson !1!. Triggers can also
> be added easily.
>
> Sybrand Bakker
> Senior Oracle DBA

Sybrand provided the only practical solution on an ongoing basis; there is another possibility if your system is in archive log mode and you still have the archived redo logs. You can use the log minger facility to look for the change. It will be a time consuming pain, but if the time when this specific record was changed is a critical issue then it may be an option.

HTH -- Mark D Powell -- Received on Mon Jun 30 2003 - 15:17:54 CEST

Original text of this message