Re: startup Oracle services

From: <sybrandb_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 25 Jun 2003 00:41:49 -0700

titaou02_at_yahoo.com (Tri) wrote in message news:<a533fb1d.0306240838.eb7a65_at_posting.google.com>...
> Hello all,
>
> I had some troubles with starting up Oracle services running on
> WindowsNT. It seems to me that the error occurred while McAfee runs
> updating .dat files. I am using TOAD to connect to Oracle database and
> got the below error messages:
>
> ORA-12224: TNS:no listener
>
> Details:
> Using: C:\orant\bin\ORA805.DLL
> 2) Oracle Home Key is SOFTWARE\ORACLE\HOME0
> Looking for TNS_ADMIN environmental variable
> TNS_ADMIN environmental variable doesnt exist,
> looking for TNS_ADMIN reg key using home key:
> >SOFTWARE\ORACLE\HOME0<
> TNS_ADMIN does not exist in SOFTWARE\ORACLE\HOME0
> looking for TNS_ADMIN reg key in \Oracle: >SOFTWARE\ORACLE\HOME0<
> Looking for OracleHomeKey\ORACLE_HOME
> Oracle Path is now C:\orant\Net80\Admin
> Looking for C:\orant\Net80\Admin\tnsnames.ora
> tnsnames.ora found
> tnsnames entry: CMEXAMPLE.WORLD
> tnsnames entry: TCPEXAMPLE.WORLD
> tnsnames entry: NMPEXAMPLE.WORLD
> tnsnames entry: D2200.WORLD
> tnsnames entry: ORDJ.WORLD
> tnsnames entry: ORDW.WORLD
> tnsnames entry: EXTPROC_CONNECTION_DATA.WORLD
> tnsnames entry: BEQ-LOCAL.WORLD
> tnsnames entry: SPXEXAMPLE.WORLD
> tnsnames entry: TCP-LOOPBACK.WORLD
> tnsnames.ora found
> tnsnames entry: CMEXAMPLE.WORLD
> tnsnames entry: TCPEXAMPLE.WORLD
> tnsnames entry: NMPEXAMPLE.WORLD
> tnsnames entry: D2200.WORLD
>
> I think the reason for this error occurred is just because Oracle
> services could not be started. However, I didnt know why I could not
> start the services after McAfee updates .dat file.
>
> Does anyone have running into the similar problem? Could you tell me
> how to fix it? Any information is highly appreciated.
>
> Thanks,
> Tri

Please in the future look up the error message in the server messages manual *before* posting. If you would have done that you would have known the cause (as it says in the error message you didn't read : the listener isn't running)
and you would have also known the remedy: just start the listener. Homework for you: find out how to start the listener by reading the NT specific doco.

BTW why are you using a version desupported in the previous milennium?

Sybrand Bakker
Senior Oracle DBA Received on Wed Jun 25 2003 - 09:41:49 CEST

Original text of this message