Re: Connecting to Oracle Server Over the 'Net

From: TurkBear <john.greco_at_dot.state.mn.us>
Date: Wed, 18 Jun 2003 08:44:23 -0500

By default, Oracle uses a random port to communicate once a connection has been initiated by the listener ( which uses 1521 by default) , so you would need to open all ports ( no firewalls ) or, set a USE_SHARED_PORT ( or something like that ( if on Windows) parameter in the registry to specify that the same port should always be used..Read the docs about working with firewalls.

Once that is taken care of, you can create a tnsnames entry for that server/instance and connect to it from any client PC running SqlNet that can resolve your server's address..