Re: Standby Database Questions

From: Frank <fvanbortel_at_netscape.net>
Date: Wed, 21 May 2003 20:42:07 +0200

Mahesh Hardikar wrote:
> Hi ,
>
> Oracle 8.1.7.0.0 on HP-UX 11.00
>
> We are in a process to implement DR Site using Oracle's Standby
> Database Feature. I wish to know 2 things :
>
> 1. Is it possible to have NT hosting Oracle instance on DR Site ? i.e.
> can standby database work across platform ?
> If so , what changes I need to do in order to copy Archived Log files
> from HP to NT ?

No - you're copying (raw) datafiles; the archives redo logs. Won't work cross-platform

> 2. If it is not possible to have different platforms for Standby
> Database , can I add 2nd archive log destination pointing to Standby
> Server ? IN this case suppose some network problem occurs & Oracle is
> not able to write Archived Log to Standby server , will it affect
> Primary database also ?

Not if you designate that (remote) location as optional (the default). Use:

log_archive_dest_1='location=/m01/appl/oracle/arch MANDATORY REOPEN=120'
log_archive_dest_2='location=/remote/appl/oracle/arch'
log_archive_min_succeed_dest=1

Check Backup/Recovery Mnl, Reference, and/or Admin guide on tahiti.oracle.com

> 3. Can Multimaster Replication be used to serve DR purpose ?

Yes, though it would be snapshot - a standby database is just that, it is not opened, it is recovering.
A snapshot replication would accomplish that in an open database (which could be used for reporting).
Mind yuo - due to a bug in 8i, materialized views with a 'on commit' type of refresh do not work. They do in 9i.

--
Regards, Frank van Bortel